Switch Between Workbooks Faster in Excel 2007 and 2010

by Gregory on October 12, 2010

Switch Windows Shortcut in Excel 2010

In the Excel 2003 menu system, two clicks of the mouse will switch between workbooks. In the menu conflagration for Excel 2007 and 2010 it’s three clicks: View, Switch Windows, then pick the workbook. (As shown below)

Switch Windows on View Menu in 2010

This doesn’t seem like a big deal, but it bugs the heck out of me. So I added the Switch Windows command to the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel 2010 and now have my customary two clicks back. It works in Excel 2007, too.

Add the Switch Windows Command to the Quick Access Toolbar

In Excel 2010 right-click the menu, then select Customize Quick Access Toolbar from the pop-up menu.

Customize Quick Access Toolbar

In the Excel Options dialog box (shown below) the Quick Access Toolbar should be selected in the left pane.

Under Choose commands from, select All Commands from the drop-down list, scroll down and select Switch Windows, then click the Add>> button to move that command to the right-hand window.

You can move it up or down according to where you would like it placed on the QAT toolbar. Click OK to finish.

Add Switch Windows to QAT

Now you’ve saved yourself one click and any associated aggravation every time you want to switch workbooks in Excel 2010.

Switch Windows on Quick Access Toolbar

This also works for Excel 2007. Did I mention that?

Use a Keyboard Shortcut to Switch Windows

The keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Tab will move to the next window. With only two workbooks open it will toggle between them quickly and is faster than using Switch Windows from the QAT.

However, with more than two workbooks open this method doesn’t work very well because cycling through each open workbook is slower, and sometimes confusing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Roger August 31, 2011 at 1:19 am

Many thanks

Mo R. September 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yes, saving that extra click is really useful to switch between worksheets. And, I am 100% serious. So, thank you.

Joe Mama November 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thanks for your help. :)

I can’t believe that we can’t just toggle through the workbooks by clicking on the titles on the bottom of the screen like we could in the 2003 version. This is SO ANNOYING!!

slowWalker December 20, 2011 at 7:33 am

Thanks, man!
You saved my day

Gregory December 20, 2011 at 7:50 am

Always glad to help.

L.A. March 19, 2012 at 6:53 am

I have to say I agree with Joe Mama: while it is wonderful to know that you can switch back and forth between two workbooks by using ctrl + tab, it is really frustrating that I cannot switch back and forth between more than one file/workbook with ONE click, as I used to, by clicking on the tabs on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. In this previous–and extraordinarily useful!–feature, not only could I switch back and forth between two files/workbooks, but I could switch back and forth between MULTIPLE files/workbooks, with ONE click!

I sure do wish Microsoft would bring this feature back, or if it is still available, make it clear how to access it. The only information I’ve been able to come up with requires downloading a zip file full of text files, changing the dot extensions to .reg, and then running them. And, those files only work for the 32-bit version of Windows 2007.

Thanks for allowing us a space to comment.

Gregory March 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm

This is actually a Windows issue, which is still frustrating nonetheless. On XP you have individual Excel tabs in the task bar for each file (at least until you get too many and then they automatically combine.) With Windows 7 there is only one Excel tab on the task bar, no matter how many files or instances of Excel you have open. But what I’ve found is that if I hover my mouse over the Excel tab for a second, an iconic, mini-spreadsheet display appears for each of the Excel files you have open. Then you can click the one you want, which technically is only one click. (Albeit you have to wait a beat for the display to show.)

I think this is what Microsoft considers as progress. I’m going to learn to live with it. Life is too short, otherwise.

Teresa March 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

This was annoying — thanks for the ctrl – tab tip!!

Gregory March 28, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I live to serve. :)

blzepwns March 30, 2012 at 7:47 am

Shortcut for a shortcut: right-click the Switch Windows button in the Ribbon and click add to Quick Access Toolbar. done. :)

Gregory March 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tip. However, for those who use a Mac this little technique doesn’t work.

On a Windows machine, with Excel 2007 or 2010, this right click techinque only allows you to create a Freeze Panes shortcut. If you do it manually there is a Freeze Sheet Panes shortcut that is one less click.

Brad June 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

You are a Genius, thanks for sharing!

wasim khan June 27, 2012 at 6:23 am

i want to make a store data entry format in excel
how can i store my data in excel and i want link between 1 sheet with another sheet

Gregory June 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

You can put the Store data on one worksheet, give it a defined name, then on another worksheet use Data Validation to reference the list. What version of Excel are you using?

Steve Allanson August 21, 2012 at 3:21 am

Application.showwindowsintaskbar=true

There is no excel setting for this but this command switches it back on so I’m sure you could put it into a personal macro workbook or whatever.

I just type it into the immediate window in vba

S

Gregory August 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Interesting. One problem is that this property isn’t recognized in Excel 2011, the MAC version of Excel. Which is not uncommon.

Paul Mitchell June 11, 2013 at 4:32 am

I was right there with Joe Mama in that I hate any additional kestrokes/clicks. I avoid using the mouse wherever possible and find the keyboard so much faster and if you are already typing you lose time putting your hand on a mouse. Here’s how I switch workbooks now using only keystokes
Alt+W, W then choose the number shown in the box or use the down key.

Gregory June 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for the tip.

Jesse July 11, 2013 at 5:23 am

Thank you so much! This was bugging the hell out of me!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: